We of the faith have pandered too long to the ways of the world. Simply put, millions of years and the Bible are NOT compatible. The word day is not the only factor:
1) God adds qualifying words associated with the word day to clarify the literal 24hr day (evening, morning, night and number of days), see Gen 1;
2) light is created before the sun from an unknown source, millions of years says the sun produced the light (And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. Gen 1:3);
3) the earth, sea, vegetarian and trees were created on day three before the sun, moon and stars on day four, while millions of years has the sun created first (And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the third day. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. Gen 1:9-19);
4) man was created in the image of God to rule over the animals, yet millions of years says man came from a common past ancestor and is merely one of the animals (And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Gen 1:26);
5) all animals were vegetarian in the beginning, but fossils claimed to be millions of years contain animals eating other animals (And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. Gen 1:30).
6) man came from dust of the earth not common descendants (And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Gen 2:7);
7) death came after sin, yet millions of years requires death before sin (But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Gen 2:17; Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: Rom 5:12);
8) thorns came after sin, yet fossils claimed to date millions of years contain thorns (And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. Gen 3:17-19);
9) God’s Word is given by God and is fully trustworthy, yet all of man’s dating methods have flawed assumptions, thereby the results give inconsistent dates and cannot be fully trusted (All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2Tim 3:16-17; or the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2Pet 1:21);
10) Scripture interprets itself: Ex 20:11 affirms six literal days and Heb 11:3 declares the universe was created by God’s word, not millions of years. ((For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Ex 20:11; Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. Heb 11:3)
While more can be said, the bottom line is one must choose man’s word or God’s Word, not both. Who is your final authority? Man who claims to know and changes with new discovery or God who does know, cannot lie and desires to make Himself known to His creation to reconcile us to Him.